Many athletes and professional bodybuilders turn to illegal steroids to boost their physical output, and Anavar is one of the most widely used examples. Formulated as an anabolic androgenic steroid, Anavar carries with it a number of possible health concerns and side effects. Careful and informed use can mitigate these dangers to a degree, but it is still imperative to recognize their potential for harm.
While many of the compounds that allow steroids to function as they do are already present in the body, steroids like Anavar greatly alter their levels and proportion. This means your personal body composition plays an enormous role in how you will respond to the steroid, and it may be impossible to predict the magnitude of potential health risks on an individual basis.
Anavar Side Effects
Anavar works by altering the natural production of testosterone, and so men are particularly susceptible to negative side effects.
- Acne- Adult acne is a common Anavar side effect, typically appearing on the back and shoulders. This issue may be even more severe in men prone to acne before use.
- Hair Loss- Another widespread side effect of Anavar is the acceleration of male pattern baldness. Although it is not thought to initiate hair loss, Anavar can sharply increase the rate at which balding increases.
- High Blood Pressure- Anavar can also interfere with a healthy cardiovascular system and cause issues regulating blood pressure.
- Elevated Cholesterol- Many men who use Anavar also experience issues with their cholesterol levels.
- Testicular Shrinkage- one nearly universal Anavar side effect is shrinkage of the testicles brought on by destabilization of testosterone. The testicles will visibly lose volume and fullness with use although they typically return to their normal size after stopping an Anavar program.
While women may not experience the same types of health concerns as men with Anavar use, altering testosterone levels in the body can also have consequences for them.
- Viriliization- Many women suffer from virilization, or the manifestation of male secondary sex characteristics, with Anavar use. This can include deepening of the voice, clitoral enlargement, body hair growth and disruption of the menstrual cycle.
- Baldness- the testosterone altering effects of Anavar use can also contribute to the development of irreversible male pattern baldness.
Another issue with illegal steroids such as Anavar is their dubious quality when obtained from black market sources. Many unscrupulous dealers will substitute a lower grade steroid in place of one intended for use in humans, greatly increasing the risk and potential extent of Anavar side effects. For these and many more reasons, steroids like Anavar should only be used under the supervision of a medical professional.